hans kaper wrote:
> Op Thu, 03 Oct 2013 22:05:25 +0200 schreef Bruce Dubbs
> <bruce.du...@gmail.com>:
>
>> hans kaper wrote:
>>> I build LFS 7.4 from the book. It boots all-right but I cannot login:
>>>
>>> login: root
>>> password: xxxxxx
>>> crypt: Invalid argument
>>>
>>> Trying another user fails too.
>>>
>>> I double checked inittab and the shadow-build, but found no faults.
>>> The same goes for the kernel-config file.
>>>
>>> What can be the reason of the failing login?
>>
>> Did you set the password for root?

> Of course.

Then you probably have the wrong password or didn't install shadow properly.

To get in, you can edit /etc/passwd so root's entry is:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Notice that the 2nd entry is null.  That should get you in without a
password.  Then run passwd again and set your pw to whatever you want.

Also, When setting the password in chroot, the /dev and /dev/pts virtual
file systems must be available.

   -- Bruce