Op Fri, 04 Oct 2013 23:13:20 +0200 schreef Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>:

>> Then: strace -olog.txt login
>>

> I looked at a trace for my system.  Do you have /etc/group?  These are
> my opens, disregarding library and files not found:
>
> open("/etc/login.defs", O_RDONLY)       = 3
> open("/root/.bash_history", O_RDONLY)   = 3

The last part of the list of files were not opened because login did not come
that far.

> Check that login.defs, nsswitch.conf, passwd, login.access, and group
> all exist.  Note that shadow is not opened.

Because you use no password?

All the files are there.

I copied passwd, groups and shadow from my succesful build of LFS7_3 to LFS7_4,
but no log-in, although a different error-message.

Then, in the end, I re-installed Shadow et voila: a successful login!

Analysing the logs, I saw no differences with the first install, apart from
installs by libtool from /usr/bin/install instead of /tools/bin/install, but
that shall originate from the fact that in the first build  libtool was build
after Shadow.

That leaves the question why the failures occurred in the first place? Any
suggestion were I should look in the strace-logfiles to get a clue? LFS is for
learning, he?
The login-failure occurred after the password was given. In the successful
login login.access was opened, but that was not the case in the failed login,
although /etc/login.access existed. There was also no failure of opening that
file.

But again, Bruce, I am, very grateful for your extensive help!!

Hans.