On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 01:36:04PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:

> I suppose that the most practical thing for me to do is "jump into" Ch.
> 6 and build with the script in the hint as it exists now.  I could
> "pause" at the end of this command to see what was happening. However,
> in a previous life I was an engineer (Oh, no!!) and my OCD has kicked
> in.  First of all, I want to understand everything the script is doing
> and when I looked at it in my text editor (gedit in Ubuntu) I saw a
> problem.  With that editor the only valid thing in pick is what's
> between two quotes in an <echo> command. Anything else in pink has
> something wrong in front of it--a syntax error.  In gedit everything in
> the script after <"$(pwd)"> is pink. There's something wrong, and I'd
> like to find it before I start.

 Maybe the syntax highlighting in that version of gedit is missing
or broken.  Try vim and see how it looks ('syntax on' in ~/.vimrc or
/etc/vimrc).  I use a black background, with ':colorscheme elflord'
I didn't see anything unusual when I pasted that line into a script.

 Not that vim's highlighting is perfect, it occasionally gets
confused but usually only when I scroll a long way through a long
script.

 It's also, of course, possible that there is an apparent error
_before_ this which makes the highlighter confused.

ĸen