On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 05:30:58AM -0600, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> I am building GCC 4.7.1 (book says to use 4.7.2). My book version is 7.3,
> so I am not using the latest version of the book. I have built several
> systems with 4.7.1 instead of 4.7.1.

 You seem to be confused about *where* you are in the book, and I
suspect you are looking at multiple versions of it.  Your heading is
'Chapter 6.7.1 header file search verification failure' but in all
of the books since (at least) 7.2 the section is 6.10.  7.3 is at :
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.3/chapter06/adjusting.html

> My output of "grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'" is:
>
> SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/lib");

 And on that page I've linked to, it says:

| If everything is working correctly, there should be no errors, and
|the output of the last command (allowing for platform-specific
|target triplets) will be:
|
|SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
|SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
|SEARCH_DIR("/lib");

 Which appears to match your results.

 For 7.4, the '/tools' match disappears.  Perhaps you are trying to
build something that is between 7.2 and 7.3, but comparing it to the
7.4 or current svn book ?  Or maybe you are building 7.3 except for
sticking with an older gcc-4.7 release.  That seems weird, but I'm
sure you will think many things _I_ do are weird.

 I can't imagine why you would want to build such an old version -
for me, stable 7.4 is verging on 'old' (I'm from the "LFS is near
the bleeding edge" school) - but "your system, your rules" and the
*matching* instructions should still work.  But please be _clear_
about which version you are using, and what variations you have
made, when you post here.  At the moment, people will probably
assume you are building 7.4 if you say nothing.

 I was going to moan about you top-posting, but I see you are using
gmail so I guess you don't have any real choice if you are using its
web interface - sucks, doesn't it.

ĸen