On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:01:38 +0000 (UTC)
Thomas Kupper <thomas.kup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I was coming across that error while trying to cross compile mpc for
> later use with gcc using Optware building system (nothing to do with
> LFS I agree). In my case it was mpc which did complain but mpfr was
> the one causing it. In the libmpfr.la there was the path
> to /opt/lib/libgmp.la (/opt/lib in my case cause of Optware). MPC
> seems to look at the libmpfr.la (and libgmp.la) I assume.
>
> --- <path to the libmpfr.la> ---
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L<some-path-to-my-project> opt/lib/libgmp.la'
> ---------------------------
>
> I still don't know the source of the problem but I simply did sed the
> /opt/lib/*.la out of the libmpfr.la file and mpc and gcc compiled
> fine. And I may add that "/opt/lib/libgmp.la" is is not in
> 'dependency_libs the libmpfr.la file right after compilation
> in ./src/.libs/libmpfr.la and ./src/libmpfr.la. Instead the complete
> path to were it really gets copied. It seems to happen during the
> "$make install" phase.
>
> Maybe that a) helps someone else too - as did your post me - and b)
> maybe someone with deeper knowledge of libs/libtool and compiling
> knows what's the source of the problem is. The method with linking to
> - in my case - /opt/lib would be a bit more work since I do cross
> compile for i686 and x86_64 bit.
>
> Additionally, in libmpc.la the two paths to /opt/lib/libgmp.la and
> /opt/lib/libmpfr.la appear again but gcc seems not to mind and
> compiles fine anyway.
>
> Below the sed I used, although probaly obvious:
> $ sed -i 's%^\(dependency_libs=.*\) \(/opt/lib/.*la\)%/\1%g' \
>
> /home/jane/Projects/slug/optware/asustor-i686/staging/opt/lib/libmpfr.la
>
> System involved:
> - Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit, 4 logical CPU's, 4GB RAM (Parallels VM)
> - cross compiler : gcc 4.6.3
> - latest Optware and latest GMP,MPFR and MPC

I was also able to trace the problem back to a bad dependency line in a
libtool archive file. But in my case it can't be an install problem
because in LFS, you don't actually install these libraries in
your /tools tree. You just unpack their sources inside the gcc source
directory and let Make build and use them. In the end, after hitting
the same wall several times, I just used a redirecting link as no one
was prepared to suggest anything better.

In the second-pass build of gcc everything went smoothly, so the
problem must lie with my host compiler. I have a "home-rolled"
minimalist system based on Slackware packages and something is probably
missing in my setup.