        .
> I was also able to trace the problem back to a bad dependency line in a
> libtool archive file. But in my case it can't be an install problem

What was the bad-dep line?

> because in LFS, you don't actually install these libraries in
> your /tools tree. You just unpack their sources inside the gcc source
> directory and let Make build and use them. In the end, after hitting
> the same wall several times, I just used a redirecting link as no one
> was prepared to suggest anything better.
>
> In the second-pass build of gcc everything went smoothly, so the
> problem must lie with my host compiler. I have a "home-rolled"
> minimalist system based on Slackware packages and something is probably
> missing in my setup.

 - we've built lfs74 on several machines using full-install Slackware 14.1
here - yes, yours is 14.0 - and no problems at all. Similarly for
lfs68/blfs68 built on full-install Slackware 13.37 - all completely OK. But
just have never built from 14.0 - no partic reason: I'd expect/wager that a
full(er) install - as recommended by PV et al - of 14.0, and not
"home-rolled" too much away from its upstream intended function, would go
just fine.

Anyway, good you got past the roadblock.

rgds,

akh