>On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:59:19 +0100
>Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> It looks like most Linux distributions are switching to systemd from
> sysvinit. As Bruce is even one of the (co-?)authors of systemd, the
> knowledge is already in the house. Why would (x)LFS stick to sysvinit
> while the rest of the world is moving to systemd?
>
> Of course, simplicity might be one reason. After all sysvinit system
> is much easier to understand then the somewhat more complex systemd
> system. However, if everybody was thinking like this, there would be
> no progress ever.
> I also think that in order to keep (x)LFS attractive to new
> followers, the project should go with the flow.
>
> Since my days of programming are long past, I can only offer my
> system resources for (test)building development versions - much as
> what I do today.
>
> Regards, Frans.

Please do not try to ignite a holy war. LFS has been, for the most
part, a very peacefull place and I think everyone would like it to stay
that way.

As for why we would stick to sysvinit? It exposes the underlying gears
and pipes to the user. That way, servicing it is easy. The only really
good (yet still apologetic) argument for systemd that I heard is that
some people do not know shell scripting and for them there is no
difference (AKA preference) between systemd and sysvinit - they need to
learn either from scratch.

Systemd, in my humble opinion, has been paid for, written as is being
pushed by Big Server. They ofcourse need it because they can use it to
quickly boot virtual machines when they need to and, presumably, manage
them all from a single place.

For LFS, whose stated mission is to teach people the internals of a
Linux system, systemd offers no tangible benefits apart from a dubious
line in some (but not all) CV-s (to the effect that so-and-so knows how
to configure systemd) yet has a major drawback in the shape of hiding
the inner workings of system boot from an LFS reader (because LFS is
first and foremost a book).

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.