On 02/16/2014 12:59 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> It looks like most Linux distributions are switching to systemd from
> sysvinit. As Bruce is even one of the (co-?)authors of systemd, the
> knowledge is already in the house. Why would (x)LFS stick to sysvinit
> while the rest of the world is moving to systemd?
>
> Of course, simplicity might be one reason. After all sysvinit system is
> much easier to understand then the somewhat more complex systemd system.
> However, if everybody was thinking like this, there would be no progress
> ever.
> I also think that in order to keep (x)LFS attractive to new followers,
> the project should go with the flow.
>
> Since my days of programming are long past, I can only offer my system
> resources for (test)building development versions - much as what I do today.
>
> Regards, Frans.

No, I have no intention of starting any kind of war for the wrong
reason. Although I am somewhat offended by particular one subscriber,
the other reactions give me more insight in the prevailing mind set.

Personally, I have no problem with sysvinit, In fact I find it's
simplicity very appealing - beside the fact that over the years I have
grown accustom to it. I just wanted to raise the question and see what
the reactions might be.

As it stands, there is a separate systemd branch I was not aware of -
can't find it using the web site - so that question is answered.

And yes, it (LFS) is a learning tool and a good one at that. But
sometimes tools need to be refreshed or even replaced by newer tools to
stay on par with the technical evolution and/or being attractive enough
to draw in new people. I wonder how long the current practice of
updating the packages only will work and not updating it's architecture.

One reason I got thinking about it was how the udev-lfs package was
extracted from the systemd package. It is currently still possible to
extract it, but I would not be surprised when that whole sub-system is
replaced with incompatible code in future version of systemd. What to do
then: maintain a LFS udev package or switch over to a system which has
his own merits and likewise, drawbacks?

For now, I have not yet decided which stream to follow, maybe both streams.

As this is undoubtedly not my last posting,
Regards, Frans.

"You can survive by - among others - thinking ahead too"