okay..... I tried scripting my compile with the following results:

root:/sources# cat >6.9glibc <<"eof"
> #6.9 glibc compile instructions
>
> sed -i 's/\\$$(pwd)/`pwd`/' timezone/Makefile
> patch -Np1 -i ../glibc-2.19-fhs-1.patch
> mkdir -v ../glibc-build
> cd ../glibc-build
> ../glibc-2.19/configure \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --disable-profile \
> --enable-kernel=2.6.32 \
> --enable-obsolete-rpc
> make
> make -k check 2>&1 | tee glibc-check-log
> grep Error glibc-check-log
> eof
root:/sources# ./6.9glibc
bash: ./6.9glibc: Permission denied
root:/sources#

Pray tell.... why is root getting a 'permission denied'? To tell you the
truth I did this originally in gedit and then scp the file to /sources but
the resulting error was the same.