> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 09:55:52 +0200
> From: Alexey Orishko <alexey.oris...@gmail.com>
> To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: [lfs-support] issue with 6.9.2. Configuring Glibc - localtime
>
> Hi,
>
> While using LFS system I found one problem related to recommendations in ch.
> 6.9.2. Configuring Glibc (ch. number from devel book):
> it is impossible for C-application (or bash script) to track down
> timezone/location if original file is copied to /etc/localtime.

Do you mean that it's not easy for progs to know which original file
had been copied over to /etc/localtime ? If yes, then ref e.g.
'/etc/localtime-copied-from' symlink below.

> I would recommend to change suggestion in the book from copying to
> making a symbolic link, thus allowing to use readlink(3) to track down
> an original file:
>
> "Then create the /etc/localtime file by running:
> ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/<xxx> /etc/localtime"

Some folks have e.g.:
==
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   33 [...] /etc/localtime-copied-from ->
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
-rw-r--r-- 7 root root 3661 [...] /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3661 [...] /etc/localtime
==

(OTTOMH, there is/was some reason for making /etc/localtime a file and
not a symlnk).

> Comment might also be provided in the errata of the current book.

(Or not.)