On 2015-06-05 6:16 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Geoff Swan wrote:

>>> What you need to do is (as root):
>>>
>>> rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>> bash /lib/udev/init-net-rules.sh
>>>
>>>    -- Bruce
>>>
>> Thanks Bruce.
>> I guess there is no automatic mechanism for when the box has not KB or
>> monitor attached, which was what I was hoping for.
>> Even if I remove the rules file before moving the OS drive, it does not
>> appear to rebuild the rules file automaticaaly when started on a
>> different box.
>> I guess I could exec the init-net-rules.sh script at startup if the
>> rules file is not present to have it build it automatically.
>
> Generally you need to make several changes when moving from one box to
> another.  Things like hostname, static ip addresses, etc are the most
> obvious.  You probably do not want a dhcp ip address on a headless box
> because you need to know the ip address for ssh.
Yes, and this is done just before shutting it down to move to the other
box. Unfortunately the MAC addresses are often not known on the other
box (it may be in a remote location). So having the rules file created
at boot would be useful.
Look like I will probably delete the rules file and have a startup
script rebuild it using init-net-rules.sh if it is missing.

> Just update the net rules at the same time.
>
> Note that the init-net-rules.sh script will not generate rules in a
> virtual box.  There is generally no guarantee that the MAC address
> will be the same for different instances.
OK, this is real, not virtual, so no worries there.