Simon Geard wrote:
On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 15:16 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
You probably do not want a dhcp ip address on a headless
box because you need to know the ip address for ssh.

Not quite - what you don't want is a *dynamic* IP address. There's
no problem with using DHCP for managing the allocation of fixed IPs -
most of the Linux machines at work are configured that way, because
there's no per-machine configuration needed... just install a
standard imageonto 40 machines, and register the MACs with the DHCP
server.

That's true in a production environment, but in an environment where there are a lot of systems being built, it requires custom configuration on a separate dhcp server for every new system.

I think LFS generally qualifies as a lab environment, but I have used it for production. In some cases, I did not have access to the dhcp server so the static IP address was the only way to go.

  -- Bruce