> From: "Rob" <captinlo...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 06:02:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: [lfs-support] Force i386
>
> Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Building LFS for the first time is hard. Many people have trouble.
> > And multilib is harder still (or perhaps just "more tedious", but
> > "harder" is probably a better starting assumption).
>
> I wouldn't say harder but tedious definitely. There aren't a lot of
> instructions out there, either. The stuff I found says things like, enable
> multilib repository in xx distribution; or edit your apt sources and install
> these packages. Nothing about enabling a multilib toolchain from source. I'm
> beginning to think I'll have to read C programming books to figure everything
> out.

Slackware's multilib acknowledges 'Slamd64' and 'CLFS' as the two
principal references used:
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib  .

> > Cross-lfs may well be using older packages than LFS - they have even
> > fewer developers and builders than we do - but to suggest they are
> > "a few years behind" is an overstatement.
>
> Well it's using kernel 3.14. We're at kernel 4.7.2. I am not sure about the
> security risks of running such old stuff. The copyright date is 2014. That's
> what I meant by a few years behind.

You can usually drop-in a newer kernel no-probs.

> > My suggestion to Rob is that he should build LFS, plus whichever
> > parts of BLFS are useful to him.
>
> This is my third build of LFS/BLFS. The first two times, I built for i686.
> This time, I wanted to build for x86_64, but still be able to run a couple of
> i686 binaries and libes on there. Here is where I ran into problems, and
> which is what prompted my questions.
> I eventually gave up trying to figure out the multilib/arch stuff, and
> yesterday I just built LFS 7.10 on an i686 machine.

Another way is to run a 32-bit os as a vm.

> As I said earlier, I think I'll have to find a good C reference and try to
> figure everything out. The problem I've found with that is a lot of C books
> figure you already have everything installed already--all your toolchains and
> stuff. So they don't talk about it.

Or just read gcc docs first.

rgds,
akh

p.s. pls wrap your lines to ca 74-80 chars' width.