On 05/09/2016 13:02, Rob wrote:
Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
Building LFS for the first time is hard. Many people have trouble.
And multilib is harder still (or perhaps just "more tedious", but
"harder" is probably a better starting assumption).
I wouldn't say harder but tedious definitely. There aren't a lot of
instructions out there, either. The stuff I found says things like, enable
multilib repository in xx distribution; or edit your apt sources and install
these packages. Nothing about enabling a multilib toolchain from source. I'm
beginning to think I'll have to read C programming books to figure everything
out.

Cross-lfs may well be using older packages than LFS - they have even
fewer developers and builders than we do - but to suggest they are
"a few years behind" is an overstatement.
Well it's using kernel 3.14. We're at kernel 4.7.2. I am not sure about the
security risks of running such old stuff. The copyright date is 2014. That's
what I meant by a few years behind.

You should use development:
http://clfs.org/files/BOOK/CLFS-SYSTEMD-TRUNK-GIT-20160729-CHUNKS.tar.bz2 (for systemd)
or
http://clfs.org/files/BOOK/CLFS-SYSVINIT-TRUNK-SYSVINIT-20160729-CHUNKS.tar.bz2 (for SYS V)

or you can render the books yourself from the git repo:
cd<some working dir>
git clone git://git.clfs.org/cross-lfs.git
cd cross-lfs/BOOK
# Next line only for SYS V
git checkout sysvinit
make