On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:10:09 -0700
Paul Rogers <paulgrog...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Clocking 1.3GHz.  Opinions may vary, but frankly, with only 1GB RAM, I
> see some disadvantage to running x86-64 mode with the extra space
> required/wasted in addressing.  AISI, 64-bit mode is really an advantage
> with over 4GB of RAM.
>

> > > Memory will be a problem.  You will need a relatively large swap
> > > file for glibc.  I'd use 3G.  Or 5G to make sure.  Expect a very
> > > long build time.
>
> I agree with Bruce.  And you certainly don't want to use anything other
> than "-j 1".
>
> > Glibc has already been built. I've just built binutils and had a *lot*
> > of segfaults. Curiously they all occurred during configuration stages
>
> Not surprized at all with 1GB.  Even configuration runs a lot of
> programs.
>
> > When I built LFS 7.8 from a native toolkit, I had to leave the gcc
> > tests to run overnight, but I didn't have any segfaults. If I can get
> > this gcc and its libraries to compile natively, the rest of the system
> > should be easier.
>
> Gonna build Firefox? <shudder>
>
> Bottom line:  With such an underpowered CPU, 8W vs 65W for this Conroe &
> 135W for my i7, and such limited RAM, one has a VERY STRONG incentive
> for building on something beefier and exporting the built system to it,
> one way or another.  But don't get me wrong, I like "right-sized"
> systems myself.  ;-)
> --
> Paul Rogers
> paulgrog...@fastmail.fm
> Rogers' Second Law: "Everything you do communicates."
> (I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL :-)

Well, my guess was wrong. I have now built and installed gcc which means that I
have a fully native toolchain built in situ. It tested well too: only the 5
expected errors in libstdc++, and all the sanity tests passed. To see if this
made any difference to the way the system behaves, I did a test build of
binutils, including gold. It segfaulted again while configuring the build for
gas.

So hardware limitations must be the answer, though I still don't understand why
I never saw anything like this while building 7.8 on the same machine. It's
only one release further on after all; it can't have got that much heavier.

Once I have a system that boots and that connects to the Internet, I won't need
LFS7.8 any more, so I will tar up my complete Intel version of 8.0 and just
copy it over onto that partition as suggested.
--
H Russman