On 08/21/2017 05:36 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm attempting to build LFS 8.1 using a working LFS/BLFS 8.0
installation. I receive Error 2 when compiling binutils-pass1 and several
grep errors such as the following :

checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... configure: error: no acceptable grep could be found in /tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin

/tools displays nothing with the ls command.  It appears 'ln -sv
$LFS/tools /' isn't working although the link was created and $LFS/tools
exists.

It appears creating the link hasn't changed since 8.0 and I've not had
problems with the link to my memory.  I'm just not seeing what I've done
wrong.

When you created 'ln -sv $LFS/tools /', you needed to be root. Was $LFS defined for the root user?

ls -l /tools

  -- Bruce

Yes, I believe I was root for 'export LFS=/lfs' and '$LFS/tools /.' Owner/group for /tools are root root. Owner/group for /lfs/tools are lfs root.