rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:
On 08/22/2017 07:14 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
Grep is in /sbin.
Really ?  It should be in /bin.  That in itself is enough for it to
not be found - it's a user tool, for general use when searching
files and running scripts.

Copying grep to /bin fixed the problem.

After initially finding grep (as per your suggestion) in /sbin I copied it
to /bin Tuesday, logged in as lfs and checked /lfs/tools, only to again
find it empty.  So, while having grep in /sbin also seemed problematic to
me, I assumed there were additional problems resulting in an empty
/lfs/tools.  I then successfully built 8.1 using an ISO distribution and
my scripts.  Hmm ...

So today I retried compiling 8.1 with my 8.0 distribution and
binutils-pass1 compiled successfully.  I noticed ls shows nothing in
/lfs/tools until binutils-pass1 has been compiled.  Is that right?

Yes.  binutils-pass1 is the first package.

  -- Bruce