On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:28:26AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 06/12/2018 12:43 AM, Michael Shell wrote:

> There are a lot of things that can go wrong when disk sector numbers are
> embedded into the code like lilo does.  I do not know anything about the
> internals of elilo though.

(Just a few comments, not related to EFI) -

I liked lilo, and I deviated from the book to use it on most of my
machines - perhaps only one had grub-legacy at that time, and that
was just for testing the book.  Hell, on pure64 (cross-lfs) we
couldn't even build grub-legacy at first.

And then /dev/hda became /dev/sda - I never managed to get lilo to
work with /dev/sd if the machine was currently booting from /dev/hd.

> > BTW, IIRC, anyone using a BIOS-based initial load, either grub, lilo,
> > etc., must ensure that the (second stage) boot loader as well as any
> > kernel image files are located within the first 2 TB of the drive
> > because the BIOS calls can't handle sector numbers beyond that.
>
> I don't think you can say that for all BIOS firmware, but it is certainly
> true for some.  Personally, I always make the grub partition sda1.

My only machine with drives bigger than 2TB uses them for RAID-1 not
for booting.  ISTR that I had to use GPT on them to be able to use
the whole drive.

For msdos partitioning, I've got /boot all over the place - sda14 on
one machine which is towards the end of a nominally 500GB drive.

> > > I believe the slots the sata drives are plugged into have priorities.
> > > I've never seen the disks reverse identification.  that would really be
> > > a bad race condition.  If it was happening, we would certainly have
> > > heard about it.
> >
> > I can't remember exactly how I was bitten by it, but it wasn't via USB.
> > It might have been from the use of a removable rack or SD card to SATA
> > adapter (as a "rescue" boot) that sometimes would have media in it and
> > sometimes not.

On my oldest machine (very old) the drive devices move around according
to which connectors have a drive attached.  I think I've also seen that
on other machines over the years : plug in only to the first connector,
it is sda, but add another drive on a "later" connector and sda
became sdc.  Not all connectors on some consumer-grade motherboards
use the same SATA driver.

> > In any case, according to
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/persistent_block_device_naming
> >
> > "If your machine has more than one SATA, SCSI or IDE disk controller, the
> >   order in which their corresponding device nodes are added is arbitrary."

Yes.  I recall using e2label for consistent naming (I think on that
machine, even with the exact same connections, a newer kernel could
also move them around - and that is, of course, with the drivers
built-in.

> > As I understand it, that is the policy of the kernel developers - a system
> > might work in many cases, but it is not guaranteed and a future kernel
> > update could break systems that rely on any fixed /dev/sd* naming. To me,
> > this means that, until udev becomes active and we can control things as we
> > wish, any /dev/sd* specifiers are to be considered worthless.
>
> I see.  I guess I've never had a system with multiple disk controllers. My
> development system has six sata drives, but they are all plugged into the
> motherboard so that is one controller.  I think that multiple controllers
> are rare outside of large organizations.
>
> > I do not like that policy. Unless countermanded by a kernel option,
> > on-motherboard controllers should be enumerated before those of any add-on
> > card or USB device.
>
> USB is separate as is a CD/DVD device.  At least it is in any BIOS that I
> have worked with.  Perhaps it is a problem if multiple USB drives are
> plugged in at boot.  I have not tried that.

Plugging in a usb drive before power on often used to give problems.

ĸen
--
              Keyboard not found, Press F1 to continue