On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 08:07:58 +0800
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang> wrote:

> I just tried to build MPFR on a completed LFS.  The tests linked to
> libquadmath, but libmpfr.so itself did not.
>
> Oh no, I think there is another problem.  In 6.16 the final Binutils
> should have been built.  So the final `ld` should have replaced the
> linker used in "Adjusting the Toolchain".

  Xi,

You are on a roll. OK, just to summarize for everyone here, so when binutils
is installed in 6.16, from that point forward, the ld the system is using
will link what is being built to libraries in /usr/lib rather than
/tools/lib.

And that means that when MPFR is built, its configure script should not
be able to even build anything linked against libquadmath because that
does not exist yet in /usr/lib. Correct?

In the mpfr-4.0.1 source tree, I did a:

grep -r MPFR_LIBQUADMATH *

I don't see any effect from the detection of the availability of
libquadmath other than to add -lquadmath to the LD flags - nothing that
would suggest code pathways being altered or tests being selected or
otherwise changed.

They may have just put the detection in there for completeness, in case
they ever do want to use libquadmath's features, if, and only if, it is
available on the system.

Well, maybe the issue John encountered *is* the whole point of it -
that the tests should error out if they can be built linked against
lquadmath, but not successfully executed - that they wanted to test
for that possibility of things going wrong.

  Cheers,

  Mike