> Message du 06/09/18 18:30
> De : "Thomas Trepl"
> A : "LFS Support List"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [lfs-support] Info on package bzip2-1.0.6 in LFS 8.2
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2018, 18:03 +0200 schrieb Terence Waterhouse: > > >
> > > Message du 06/09/18 18:00 > > > De : "Michael Shell"
> > > A : lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org > > > Copie à : > > > Objet :
> > > Re: [lfs-support] Info on package bzip2-1.0.6 in LFS 8.2 > > > > > > On
> > > Thu, 6 Sep 2018 16:11:22 +0200 (CEST) Terence Waterhouse > >  wrote: >
> > > https://lwn.net/Articles/762264/ From > > that article, someone setup a
> > > bzip2 gitlab page: > > ... > > > Interesting and important information
> > > Michael. Thank you. Perhaps > > the gzip option might seem more reliable?
> > > But I am not qualified to > > answer that. > Hi guys, first, please have
> > > a look to the mail format you use. It's quite hard to read. Simply text
> > > format would be appropriate, no html required. Regarding bzip2: We as LFS
> > > cannot "switch back" to gzip as many packages are provided bz2
> > > compressed. Because of that, we need the bzip2 package in the book.
> > > Otherwise we would not be able to uncompress .bz2 files which might cause
> > > trouble, even more when coming to BLFS. The disapperance of bzip2.org
> > > happened timely just between 8.2 and 8.3. In 8.2 we have the old link
> > > (previously working well) and in the 8.3, we allready use another
> > > location (LFSs own server). So, if you nowadays use 8.2 (which is
> > > perfectly ok), you fill stumble over that issue that bzip2.org
> > > disappeared. We will not change 8.2 or earlier versions of the book as it
> > > is something like "modifying the past". -- Thomas --
> > > http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/listinfo/lfs-support FAQ:
> > > information page Do not top post on this list. A: Because it messes up
> > > the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such
> > > a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing in
> > > e-mail? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
Thanks Thomas, as I found a copy and am now into chapter 6 I will try to get to
the end of this build using LFS 8.2. However, for future builds I will of
course move on. . .
For Hazel I confirm that the link provided by Bruce works with no problem for
me. Thanks also to Bruce for the pertinent reminders of the caveats regarding
repositories in chapter 3. Had I looked back I would probably have saved
everyone some time !
Perhaps this thread is solved now and can be closed ?
Many thanks to all for the prompt replies
Terence