On 09/06/2018 11:26 AM, Thomas Trepl wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2018, 18:03 +0200 schrieb Terence Waterhouse:
Message du 06/09/18 18:00
De : "Michael Shell" <li...@michaelshell.org>
A : lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Copie à :
Objet : Re: [lfs-support] Info on package bzip2-1.0.6 in LFS 8.2

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 16:11:22 +0200 (CEST) Terence Waterhouse
<teren...@orange.fr> wrote: > https://lwn.net/Articles/762264/ From
that article, someone setup a bzip2 gitlab page:
Interesting and important information Michael. Thank you. Perhaps
the gzip option might seem more reliable? But I am not qualified to
answer that.
Hi guys,

first, please have a look to the mail format you use. It's quite hard
to read. Simply text format would be appropriate, no html required.

Regarding bzip2:  We as LFS cannot "switch back" to gzip as many
packages are provided bz2 compressed. Because of that, we need the
bzip2 package in the book. Otherwise we would not be able to uncompress
.bz2 files which might cause trouble, even more when coming to BLFS.

The disapperance of bzip2.org happened timely just between 8.2 and 8.3.
In 8.2 we have the old link (previously working well) and in the 8.3,
we allready use another location (LFSs own server). So, if you nowadays
use 8.2 (which is perfectly ok), you fill stumble over that issue that
bzip2.org disappeared. We will not change 8.2 or earlier versions of
the book as it is something like "modifying the past".

I agree with Thomas, but I will also point out the second paragraph in Section 3.1:

"Download locations may not always be accessible. If a download location has changed since this book was published, Google (http://www.google.com/) provides a useful search engine for most packages. If this search is unsuccessful, try one of the alternative means of downloading discussed at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/packages.html#packages.";

All packages used in LFS and BLFS (any version back to, IIRC, version 6.0) are archived at one of the file mirrors. This includes most packages that were in development versions of the books but never made it to a released book.

  -- Bruce