On 09/10/2018 07:14 AM, Michael Shell wrote:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 12:59:49 +0200
Christian Friedl <c...@christian-friedl.info> wrote:

* It would seem that the testsuite for tar (Chapter 5.31: Tar-1.30)
created one gigantic file, aptly named BIGFILE, that ate up my whole lfs
partition (all of 5.3GB that were left at that point).

IMHO, we should add a warning to the tar page about that.

The problem is in Chapter 5 and not in Chapter 6.  We already say:

Experience has shown that there is little to be gained from running the test suites in Chapter 5. There can be no escaping the fact that the host system always exerts some influence on the tests in that chapter, often causing inexplicable failures. Because the tools built in Chapter 5 are temporary and eventually discarded, we do not recommend running the test suites in Chapter 5 for the average reader. The instructions for running those test suites are provided for the benefit of testers and developers, but they are strictly optional.

I do not want to start documenting failures that may be host system dependent.

  -- Bruce