On 3/19/19, Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:
> On 19-03-19 10:19, Michael Shell wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:15:25 +0100
>> thomas <tho...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Renaming /tools to another name will be appropriate to come over this
>>> issue.
>>
>> Perhaps a more functionally descriptive name would also help in other
>> ways. After all, the stuff in /tools is for a *temporary* LFS system,
>> a first stage of the LFS build process.
>>
>> So, perhaps a dir name such as "lfs_stage1" or "lfs_tmp_toolchain" would
>> not only avoid the Debian namespace collision, but also would be more
>> educational, potentially less confusing to the newbie, and functionally
>> descriptive as well.
>>
>>   Just my $0.02,
>>
> I already use for years now the link name 'lfs'. I build script files
> and use a common include which contains the current link name. Easy when
> I change the link name again, I only have to change it in the common
> include file once.
>
> My 0,01 Euro cents ;)

I like those variations. They're *cognitively friendly*, a reminder
from whence that strange top level directory came.

If length isn't a consideration, meaning considering so many
directories are 3 to 5 characters long at that level, I like that
"lfs_toolchain", even versus the slightly shorter "lfs_tool"
variation.

"Toolchain".. it's nice to see that. It made me just search to get the
right feel via chatter out on the W-W-W. Surely others will do the
same as part of the learning process, thus gaining and hopefully
retaining an important piece of Linux nomenclature. Yeah, I know it's
in the book, again it's that whole cognitive thing (*for some of us*).
Helps to keep flashing that reminder. :)

Additionally, being able to encounter that "lfs" on regular occasion
at that level... that's a nice, not-so-subtle *visual* reminder to get
back in there and GIT-R-DONE! That's especially true since you're
talking about that one being temporary and thus to be deleted at some
point deeper into our progress.

Yeah, /tool has theoretically been there already serving in that
capacity, BUT.. *in my case*, "tool" just sort of nuzzled its way in
then hung out there innocuously with all the other... 4-letter-words
in Debian's hierarchy. :D

Cindy :)
--
Talking Rock, North Georgia