Basically, I endorse the advice so far, and add...

A) Are you using framebuffer drivers?  In which case you might find of use the
kernel boot parameter VGA=XXX, where XXX is a number in the 700-800's that
specifies a screen size.

B) One's first idea is to build a kernel that supports the running system
entirely.  OK, but that's not all.  One should make a minimalist kernel that
supports the most generic CPU, a wider variety of disk drivers, just a standard
VGA screen, none of the fancy graphics, no sound, no networking, PS/2 and HID
keyboard/mouse.  The idea is "boot on anything and everything".  Chances are
that would be a lot more difficult on the day you might need it, than it is now!

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm