On 2019-05-29 06:32, Vineet Jain wrote:
Hello,

I am building LFS from version 8.4 and run into issues in actually
building of the LFS System.
For me the Part II that is Preparing the host system seems to have
been completed successfully but the actual construction of LFS is
failing.

On trying to execute MAKE MRPROPER from the linux-4.20.12 folder
it gives me the error
/bin/sh: sed: command not found
Makefile:624: arch//Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'arch//Makefile'.  Stop.

In fact other executables like tar, files also cannot be executed.

_Host sys being used is_
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

_Version Check output_
Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.30
bison (GNU Bison) 3.0.4
/usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.yacc
bzip2,  Version 1.0.6, 6-Sept-2010.
Coreutils:  8.28
diff (GNU diffutils) 3.6
find (GNU findutils) 4.7.0-git
GNU Awk 4.1.4, API: 1.1 (GNU MPFR 4.0.1, GNU MP 6.1.2)
/usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
gcc (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) 7.4.0
g++ (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) 7.4.0
(Ubuntu GLIBC 2.27-3ubuntu1) 2.27
grep (GNU grep) 3.1
gzip 1.6
Linux version 5.0.5-050005-generic (kernel@tangerine) (gcc version
8.3.0 (Ubuntu 8.3.0-3ubuntu1)) #201903271212 SMP Wed Mar 27 16:14:07
UTC 2019
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.18
GNU Make 4.1
Perl version='5.26.1';
Python 3.6.7
sed (GNU sed) 4.4
tar (GNU tar) 1.29
texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.5
xz (XZ Utils) 5.2.2
g++ compilation OK

Your host system and requirements look OK.

The deviation from the book is
- did not delete the individual source folders after installation

This is a big problem. You'll need to restart from Chapter 5, and make sure that you remove source directories. That leads to contamination, because you might build with the wrong compiler - or when you get to Chapter 6, end up with problems like you've shown.

- did not compare the installations logs with the ones published on
the site so not certain if the installation of all temporary
components did go through correctly or not.

That's really unnecessary, I only recommend reviewing the logs if you're seeing weird test failures.

Am I missing a setting that needs to be done or do I need to
re-prepare the host system and start all over again ?

You'll need to start over, unfortunately. Make sure that you delete the individual source folders after installation.

- Doug