On 10/16/19 5:20 PM, Trent wrote:

On my first try with LFS, I did version 8.4 systemd on an SSD with all files in one partition.

It boots just fine.

I just did version 9.0 systemd on another SSD, all in one partition also.

However, in Chapter 8.4.3 Setting Up the Configuration, I ran into an issue with this different SSD

(grub-install /dev/sda)

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable-systemd/chapter08/grub.html

Since I would not be booting with UEFI, I picked the "|--target i386-pc."|

|What I got in return from this, unlike the previous SSD:|

|Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible. grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.|

|Doing some research, I see would need to create a boot partition.|

|Using gparted, I reduced the size of the single partition, and moved it away from the start of the drive. I then made an ext2 partition, and marked it with a flag of bios_grub as what I read I should do. However, now it is being labeled as sdX2, if that makes any difference.

|I then when and remounted the LFS partition, and also the new boot partition. I reran the grub command ||and returned:|

|Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.|

|This was the same result as the previous SSD on a single partition, but now got the boot partition.|

|I then set up fstab again with the following:|

|# Begin /etc/fstab
# file system mount-point  type      options       dump fsck
#                                                       order

|/dev/sda2        /boot    ext2 defaults        0   2
/dev/sda1        /        ext4       defaults        1   1

| #/dev/<yyy> swap swap pri=1 0 0 (no swap)
 # End /etc/fstab
 EOF

|I then copied all the files from /mnt/lfs/boot to the now mounted boot partition I have verified they are in the boot partition.|

|I then stuck the drive in the system I want to boot.|

|All I am getting on screen is:|

|"GRUB _ <-(blinking cursor)"|

|Any advice on what I did wrong?|

|Thanks!

Just an update, something I left out and tried to do (no, not resolved)

I did not create or copy the grub.cfg file over to the boot partition

I just created what I had (working from version 8.4 booting from sda1) then copied it over to the boot partition.

Turns out that was incorrect as it gave me the same result when booted.

More closely reading 8.4.4. Creating the GRUB Configuration File, I see I needed to make some changes from the "Note" box.

So here is what I got in grub/grub.cfg:

*********

# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,2)
menuentry "GNU/Linux, |Linux 5.2.8-lfs-9.0-systemd|" {
linux /|vmlinuz-5.2.8-lfs-9.0-systemd |root=/dev/sda2 ro
}

********

Remember, I have the boot partition as an ext2 with "bios_grub" flag set, and in this case the machine is boots on, makes the partition sda2 (The example in the book shows an identical setup in grub.cfg).

Seems not even those changes worked out and still getting that "GRUB" message on boot with the blinking cursor next to it.