On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:28:23PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 5/23/20 10:11 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > So, I gave vim's tests another try, but they failed somewhat badly:
> >
> > Executed:  2667 Tests
> >   Skipped:    47 Tests
> >    FAILED:     3 Tests
> >

> > Failures:
> >          From test_excmd.vim:
> >          Found errors in Test_redir_cmd():
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_redir_cmd line 20: command did not
> > fail: redir! > Xfile
> >          From test_help.vim:
> >          Found errors in Test_helptag_cmd():
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_helptag_cmd line 20: command did not
> > fail: r-xr--r--
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_helptag_cmd line 31: command did not
> > fail: -w-------
> >          From test_quickfix.vim:
> >          Found errors in Test_switchbuf():
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_switchbuf line 131: Expected 'split'
> > but got ''
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_switchbuf line 136: Expected
> > 'usetab' but got 'useopen'
> >          function RunTheTest[40]..Test_switchbuf line 141: Expected '' but
> > got 'useopen'
> >
> > TEST FAILURE
> >
> > Tried it manually without my own CFLAGS - no change.  Tried it on
> > the host system (LFS r11777) from 7th March and there everything is
> > fine.
> >
> > Executed:  2790 Tests
> >   Skipped:    25 Tests
> >    Failed:     0 Tests
> >
> > ALL DONE
> > make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/vim-8.2.0486/src/testdir'
> >
> > At the moment, it looks as if vim's testsuite is not happy with
> > gcc-10 (or maybe one of the other changed packages, but gcc seems
> > the most likely).
>
> Can you give the latest, vim-8.2.0814, a try.
>
>   -- Bruce

Bruce, please see the reply to myself hat I've just posted - at some
point (not quite sure when) I stopped running the tests on gcc-10 in
chroot as user nobody.  Before I realised that, I'd tried 8.2.0716
which seems to have appeared in the book, and then 8.2.0814.

Once I realised I was running it wrongly, I retried both of those
versions, but after a long time they both gave up because of flakey
test rseults.

ĸen
--
Do you not know that, what you belittle by the name tree is but the
mere four-dimensional analogue of a whole multidimensional universe