On 5/24/20 12:27 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 04:11:53AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

This is LFS r11848 cross-chap5 branch from 13th May and I'm trying
to understand why tests fail (although I don't always achieve any
understanding).

So, I gave vim's tests another try, but they failed somewhat badly:

Executed:  2667 Tests
  Skipped:    47 Tests
   FAILED:     3 Tests

[snip]

I didn't have any older versions of vim handy, but looking at the
9.1 book we were using vim-8.2.0190, so I downloaded that.  With
gcc-10.1.0 it too fails, although not quite as badly:

Executed:  2407 Tests
  Skipped:    49 Tests
   FAILED:     1 Tests

Failures:

[snip]

I'di then taken a look at fedora, who are using 8.2.0806 with
gcc-10.1, although I don't think they run vims testsuite.  Latest
when I looked was 8.2.0814.  That too appears to take for ever to
run its tests, eventually ending similarly to 8.2.0716.

For me, vim-8.2.0814 tests take 120 seconds in chroot on a virgin LFS build.

I think I did run down the tests hanging problem. We have a configuration in /etc/bashrc where we have:

source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim
let skip_defaults_vim=1

If I remove /etc/vimrc, all tests pass without the hang. That is the way a user would build in a normal LFS build.

  -- Bruce