On Fri, 2021-01-15 at 17:44 +0100, coolnodje wrote:
> Many thanks! I wasn't aware of the creation of the config.log
>
> I was looking at the configure file itself trying to figure out what
> would have gone wrong.
>
> In this case the error seems pretty clear: option -V doesn't seem to
> be
> supported by gcc-10.2.1

Sorry, it is not the problem here. You have to look at the last time
gcc is run (continued below)

> configure:1714: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
> gcc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-V'
> gcc: fatal error: no input files
> compilation terminated.
> configure:1717: $? = 1
> configure:1737: checking for C compiler default output
> configure:1740: gcc    conftest.c  >&5

that is, here

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find Scrt1.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory

and this is the error: the glibc files are not found.

This means the compilation environment on your host is not right: this
part of the build is a a pure host compilation.

If I understand correctly, you have upgraded to debian testing. Have
you tried to run version-check.sh again?

I guess you need to do something like:
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev

but there may be more

Pierre