On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 04:53:43PM +0100, coolnodje wrote:
>    I'm bumping into the following issue while following 6.3.1 Installation of
>    Ncurses:
>
>    after
>
>  sed -i s/mawk// configure
>
>  and
>
>  mkdir build
>  pushd build
>  ../configure
>
>  >>
>  lfs:/lfs/sources/ncurses-6.2/build$ ../configure
>  checking for egrep... grep -E
>  Configuring NCURSES 6.2 ABI 6 (Fri Jan 15 15:28:34 CET 2021)
>  checking for package version... 6.2
>  checking for package patch date... 20200212
>  checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>  checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>  checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>  Configuring for linux-gnu
>  checking for prefix... /usr
>  checking for gnatgcc... no
>  checking for gcc... gcc
>  checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables

Any time you get that message, you need to look at the appropriate
config.log (some packages such as binutils might have several, in
those cases it will be the newest one).

Look at that in your favourite editor or 'less' and search for that
'cannot create executables' message.  For some packages there might
be many other apparent failed/error messages in the log before the
fatal error, that is normal.

Some lines above this you should find a program fragment being
created, and then some lines where configure tries to run it.
Within the attempt to run it there should be ia more explicit error
(perhaps missing header file, or missing library, or (depending on
what you are doing when you become experienced) other weird and
wonderful errors such as invalid CFLAGS).

The remedy depends on the actual reported error.

(I've snipped your environment, I don't think it is relevant to this
problem).

ĸen
--
Lu-Tze had long considered that everything happens for a reason,
except possibly football.      -- The Thief Of Time