On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 19:06:40 +0100
Tim Tassonis <st...@decentral.ch> wrote:

> On 3/18/21 6:21 PM, Scott Andrews wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 11:51:09 -0500
> > Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What you propose seems to be mostly documentation, but other
> >> changes may be appropriate.  I suggest you do a couple and let us
> >> review them. Then, with constructive feedback, the rest of the
> >> LFS scripts.
> >>

> > No it will be a big cleanup and some documentation.  There are
> > global variables that are in scripts that have nothing to do with
> > the script they are in and only used in a single other script.
> > One of them is used in a function and their is zero reason for it
> > to be in init-functions.  It is also used improperly in the other
> > script which most likely lead to someone putting it into
> > init-functions to fix a problem that should have been fixed in
> > the other script.
> >> I'll note though that you are the only one giving feedback and
> >> the scripts have only had minor changes since at least 2011.
> >
> > I had no reason to look at the scripts before hand until now.  I
> > started on a project to add ipv6, so I reviewed the boot scripts
> > to add the new "service" and was horrified by what I saw.  Before
> > reviewing the scripts my intent was to just add a "service"
> > script, but upon the research I did to accomplish just that I saw
> > that I would have to rewrite and/or correct them.  If I was going
> > to do all that work I might as well rewrite them into some kind
> > of a standard format and then add the documentation that has bee
> > missing since before 2011.
> >
> > The boot scripts are in need of a massive cleanup to say the
> > least.
>

> I think it would be a bit more productive if you refrained from
> slagging off other people's work. Saying you could make some
> improvements to the stuff would suffice, as opposed to phrases like
> "was horrified by what I saw" and "massive cleanup to say the
> least".
>
> If you want to help, that's great, but if you just want to insult
> other people, then...
>
> Bye
> Tim

Oh so it is OK for you to insult others but others can not do that?
I get it.

Yes I was ACTUALLY horrified by what I saw.

The scripts reminds me of spaghetti code, with variables in other
scripts that no business in that script as it only is local to rc
in this case, like in SCRIPT_STAT for example.

As the Subject line states "Boot scripts: request for comments"
Good, Bad or Ugly

I accept and read all comments not just the ones I agree with.