On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 17:18 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 22/12/11 13:45, Tomas Härdin wrote:
> > It's also hard to define "crazy" when it comes to MXF. After all, we're
> > talking about a format that allows indexing individual scanlines in raw
> > footage..
>
> So we should accept 64bit/sizeof(the thing) values on 64bit architectures?

*shrugs*
An ENOMEM-ish limit is at least a more sensible explanation compared to
say arbitrarily going "nope, no more than one million index entries for
you".
You'd also have to come up with a limit for every kind of table, keeping
in mind a lot of tables have variably sized entries..

Thinking a bit further ahead, considering a file may use lots of small
table segments that still add up to a lot, allocations should probably
happen in some context if you want to place a limit on them.
In other words, it seems more fair to say "refusing to allocate more
than 1 GiB per demuxer/decoder". An option could then be used to
increase said limit. That's obvious quite a bit of work though..

Anyway, INT_MAX is fine. Users with special needs can edit the code.

/Tomas