2012/6/18 Kostya Shishkov <kostya.shish...@gmail.com>:
>> How high are the weights typically? Same for the LUT values of idx2sym
>> and sym2idx. num_syms seems to be set to 8 or 2, but there is probably
>> something I missed in between.
>
> There's one model for all pixel values (i.e. 256 symbols).
> Original decoder can have up to 1023 symbols but I have not found such large
> model anywhere.
>
>> Basically, I am wondering if a smaller type could be used.
>
> It can, but I don't think it's worth the effort (even though in practice
> probably every field can be made int8_t or uint8_t).

Is the -1 initialization of those LUTS really needed btw? If yes (I'm
missing how, as negative values from the LUTs do not seem to be
checked), then probably int16_t is needed.

How does the original decoder detect/what are the characteristics of a
bitstream with such values? Some "need samples" warning may be added
then.