Hi,

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 7/24/12 4:45 AM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbul...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> [..]

>>> This really is the killer. Is there any sort of reasonable expectation
>>> that a k6-3 can get useful work done when it comes to H264 decoding? I
>>> wouldn't even mind dropping all MMX optimizations (where MMX2 - i.e.
>>> SSE - or higher exists) altogether, i.e. going the H264 way
>>

>> .. x264 way. :).
>

> Let's discuss a bit or put a news item, the pros is to having a leaner
> system, the cons is cutting dry systems that might work fine for special
> purposes now.
>
> If we can have some compelling improvement (e.g. yasm) why not?

The alternatively that I have suggested to Daniel is to keep the old
inline asm code for 3dnow only. The disadvantage of that is that we
keep pretty much all code around, just for 3dnow alone, and duplicate
it in yasm form for all other optimization types. So it's practically
possible, but at a high cost (+ that since it's duplicated, it'll be
orphaned and unmaintained; any improvements to the new qpel code will
not hit the 3dnow optimizations).

Ronald