On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 03:48:32PM +0100, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 10/11/2013 3:25 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > That mail only refers to "warnings" and "not working".  I have yet to see
> > the actual warnings pasted or get confirmation that the stripping either
> > works as expected or has no effect on those platforms.
>
> If you looked at the actual code, it was a '-' in front of it, which allows
> it to not fail. strip will be a no-op when it doesn't recognize -wN because
> it prints it's default help (like 3 lines).

Yes, Make does not interrupt execution due to '-', but that does not mean
that strip failing is acceptable.  So far we've been lucky because all
strip implementations reject the options and error out, but there is no
guarantee that this will continue to be the case in the future.

IMO a check is needed.

Diego