On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Anton Khirnov <an...@khirnov.net> wrote:
> Quoting Vittorio Giovara (2016-12-19 10:11:29)
>> I have a couple of points about this, in random order:
>>
>> 1. I had thought agreement was more towards a side data type rather
>> than full types, is there any advantage with this approach?
>
> CertainPeople(tm) claim that this is such an essential information about
> the frame that it should live directly in it. I do not have a strong
> opinion on the matter, so whatever is least objectionable to most people
> is fine with me.

OK, I wasn't too sure about it, I'm fine either way.

>> 2. I would agree about having a full rectangle not two directions
>> only. Possibly I would keep naming consistent with coded_width and
>> coded_height as fields for uncropped size, and width and height for
>> cropped size. Optionally left and top could be marked as offset.
>
> Others seems to prefer that width/height are the pure original coded
> values, with a full cropping rectangle.

The same CertainPeople(tm)? I do think changing semantics between
avctx and avframe is a BadIdea(c).

>> 3. What about container cropping? eg mov
>
> The caller's job.

Yes, but this is currently handled by the demuxer overriding the size
of avcodeccontext, it would be nice to unify this behaviour once and
for all.

>> 4. Does this support unaligned cropping? If not what happens to the
>> options about it?
>
> Read the following patches to find out.

This point is important enough that it should be mentioned in the
commit log of this patch.

>> 5. What about Theora?
>
> What about it?

You can have cropping in it, see theora.pdf ยง 2.2, our decoder
currently supports it.

>> 6. Regarding 2/4, can you add a "third" way for apply_cropping so that
>> it exports uncropped values but automatically adds the crop filter
>> (kinda like we do for autorotate) and returns the filtered image at
>> the cropped dimensions?
>
> avcodec is unable to add any filters. If you wanted to call lavfi from
> lavc, j-b would personally strangle you.

no no, sorry I meant from avconv, similar to how the transpose and
other filters are added.
--
Vittorio