On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 12:44:21PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 12:39:12 +0200
> Diego Biurrun <di...@biurrun.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 12:18:22PM +0200, wm4 wrote:

> > > Like I said, TLS protocols, encryption, any other form of nested
> > > protocols. Nested protocols are the libavformat abstraction to use for
> > > this, and TLS fits quite well into it.
> > >
> > > It works by giving each TLS implementation its own URLProtocol, which
> > > the current code does.
> > >
> > > I don't know what your patch is trying to achieve.
> >
> > Fix the bug(s) in your splitting of tls.c. tls_protocol no longer exists
> > but is referenced in configure. Nested protocols may be a nice abstraction
> > but it should not change the way users have to configure a build. There
> > should be one way to enable/disable the TLS protocol, not two now and
> > possibly four different ones in the future.
>
> Then why not fix configure instead?

Because configure is not the place to fix this, cleanly or otherwise.
I've heard two arguments against my patch so far:

1) The patch adds #ifdefs.
2) .c #includes are not pretty.

I fixed 1) in v2 of the patch, 2) is a matter of taste that does not strike
me as a particularly convincing argument. I also suspect that the word
"disentangle" in the title of the first version of the patch rubbed a
few people the wrong way.

To quote Martin from memory: "Maybe we do break configure command lines,
but we should not." We are discussing such a case here.

Diego