Hi all,

I thought this list would be interested to know that the British Government has
decided to place FinFisher under UK export controls. There are a ton of
questions that remain to be answered, and it's only part of the bigger goal to
control the export of surveillance technology, but it's a good first step!

> In a letter sent earlier in August to Privacy International's lawyers Bhatt
> Murphy, a representative of the Treasury Solicitor stated:
>
> The Secretary of State, having carried out an assessment of the FinSpy system
> to which your letter specifically refers, has advised Gamma International
> that the system does require a licence to export to all destinations outside
> the EU under Category 5, Part 2 (‘Information Security’) of Annex I to the
> Dual-Use Regulation. This is because it is designed to use controlled
> cryptography and therefore falls within the scope of Annex I to the Dual-Use
> Regulation. The Secretary of State also understands that other products in
> the Finfisher portfolio could be controlled for export in the same way."
>
> Press release is here:
> https://www.privacyinternational.org/press-releases/british-government-admits-it-has-already-started-controlling-exports-of-gamma
>
> Full copy of the letter:
> https://www.privacyinternational.org/sites/privacyinternational.org/files/downloads/press-releases/2012_08_08_response_from_tsol.pdf