I had to reread the article and the documents a few times, but I think this
control is *for the short term* very good news. Congrats to PI and all involved
for sticking a well-placed oar in.

In the long term the regulation isn't going to stop FinFisher sale. Clearly the
Gamma International people are reasonably smart people, whatever you may say
about their morals/ethics. The best it can do is cause them some short-medium
term operational problems. Lots of project managers and business people running
around figuring out what it is they can now actually do. What they need to talk
to the UK government for, what documentation is needed, etc. They will be
paying a lot of money and time to their lawyers (there's a question, who
represents them legally?), and their project managers to juggle
projects/engineers/developers time. What can we change to continue operation,
without breaking the law?

I hope the UK government actually follow-up, and keep a close eye on what they
are doing. Instead of being able to offer the installation files/media/training
material, etc as a download via a server hosted in [INSERT FOREIGN COUNTRY] to
your friendly dictator surveillance operation/dictator controlled telco, they
will now presumably have to go to the UK government and ask for permission to
conduct business outside of the EU.

Like you said in a previous mail, Gamma can just move the business to
Italy/Germany and carry on exporting from there, but presumably the UK
government could punish them for doing that? This will not stop Finspy sale
forever, but  if the UK Government closely monitor Gammas operation regarding
this, it will certainly cause delays and upset.

What constitutes an export, in the case of software? Is it the initial
agreement to sell services/provide products? Is it download from a fileserver
hosted in the UK to the client country? If it involves hardware, this could be
circumvented by referring the client to some other hardware supplier.

About the "relying on cryptography" excuse - again long run it's probably not
very useful, but if the UK government are going to restrict it due to its use
of cryptography, Gamma have their hands tied, in the short term. Removing the
cryptography would mean evading the restrictions, and lead to punishment?

Presumably the long term objective is to get the UK government to suggest/push
for changes to be made to Wassenar Agreement Part 2? From the really great, and
terrifying analysis carried out by the Citizenlab people it seems the dual-use
list category 5 already applies to some FinFisher/Spy operations (a. Generally
available to the public by being sold, without restriction, c.     Designed for
installation by the user without further substantial support by the supplier;
and d. Not used since 2000)?

If this software was created by a "hacker" group, would be classified as
illegal software, and would carry a prison sentence for it's use. Any upset in
operations, no matter how short, to companies who create software like this can
only be a good thing.

Bernard

Bernard / bluboxthief / ei8fdb

IO91XM / www.ei8fdb.org