Are you talking about a B-Corp or a Benefit Corp? The first is a
certification, the second is a legal structure.

Before deciding,  you might want to take a look at this archived chat about
the benefits of B-Corps vs. L3Cs (another possible structure): (Terrible
structure to get through, but good info.):
http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/nonprofit-for-profit-l3c-b-corp-ho-22806/

This is a pretty good site too: http://www.lawforchange.org/lfc/default.asp

Lina

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Yosem Companys <compa...@stanford.edu>wrote:

> I wrote a piece a few months ago on the benefits of cooperatives for
> liberationtech entrepreneurs:
>

> http://liberationtech.tumblr.com/post/28442687690/how-cooperatives-could-fix-social-medias-net
>
> But I excluded the b corp from that analysis.
>
> Yosem
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Andrew Haeg <aoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm considering applying for B-Corp status once I get GroundTruth up and
> > running. Very curious to learn more -- such as: is it essentially just a
> way
> > to distinguish your co. from other, non-benefit corps?
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Yosem Companys <compa...@stanford.edu>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Rafael made me curious...  Anyone in liberationtech used this legal
> >> status before?  Perhaps Renee can tell us more about it?
> >>
> >> YC
> >>

> >> From: Rafael Shimunov <r.shimu...@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Any folks out there working for a b-corp? Or ever considered it? I'm
> >> currently researching it for a social enterprise startup.
> >>
> >> http://www.bcorporation.net/
> >>
> >> Best, Rafael
> >> --

Lina Srivastava