While I am not aware of Stanford's setup, I have considered some of the privacy
and other issues with URL shorteners, and have in fact implemented my own
shortener using my ezor.org domain, the open-source yourls service
(yourls.org), and service space I lease from GoDaddy. The technical skills
needed were fairly modest (happily), and the cost minimal. So far, I have been
very pleased with the results, both in terms of ease of use and the
availability of metrics for each URL I create.

In thinking about the benefits and drawbacks of operating my own shortener
versus using bit.ly, is.gd or a different third-party option, I came up with a
few including but not limited to these:

* Third-party services may be shut down at any time, and rarely allow users to
edit the underlying URL once the shortened link is created, increasing the risk
that a shortened URL included in a longer-term work (such as a book or archived
Web page) will become unusable because the service has been discontinued or the
referred-to content has been removed or relocated.

* There is no way to prevent either the third-party service operator or a
malicious hacker from changing the shortening database to redirect clicks from
the original page to another, without either the creator or users of the
shortened URL necessarily realizing it. This could increase the risk of
phishing, malware installation, or even hijacking of affiliate program
commissions (as had been possible with link replacement tools from the past
decade such as WhenU)

* Organizations incorporating third-party URL shorteners into their operations
must be sure to disclose in their privacy policies that the services themselves
could be directly collecting data from and about users. Bitly, for example,
states in its terms of service (https://bitly.com/pages/terms-of-service):

7.  Bitly Metrics.
1.      Definition.
      Certain features of the Services allow Bitly to collect and track
metrics, and generate analytics, relating to URLs shortened using the Services,
bundles of shortened URLs created using the Services, and other metrics and
analytics related to use of the Services ("Bitly Metrics"). Bitly Metrics
include, but are not limited to:
1.      A history of all URLs shortened by a particular Account.
2.      A history of all clicks on a shortened URL.
3.      A history of all sharing of a shortened URL through third-party
services such as Facebook and Twitter.
4.      A history of referral URLs for clicks of a shortened URL.
5.      A history of IP addresses used to access a shortened URL.
6.      Visual presentation of any or all of the above (excluding IP addresses).
2.      White Label Service.
      If you have chosen to use the White Labeled Service and have specified a
Custom URL, the Bitly Metrics can be tracked on an individual domain level.
3.      Ownership Rights.
      You acknowledge and agree that all Bitly Metrics are generated and owned
by Bitly, and that Bitly has the perpetual, worldwide, exclusive right to use,
license, sell or otherwise dispose of Bitly Metrics for any purpose.

* With specific regard to bit.ly, while the shortener itself is not apparently
operated by the Libyan government, the .ly ccTLD is operated by the state-owned
General Post and Telecomunication Company, making its operations (and
authorization for .ly domains overall) subject to the policies and controls of
whoever then is in control of Libya. While this is potentially true of any
state-owned ccTLD, risks to continuity and even potential for redirections may
be higher in countries with unstable political and social infrastructures.

* One possible benefit of standardizing on a third-party service, especially a
popular one, is that it is likely to be included as an option in other
applications, such as Twitter clients or mobile URL shortening applications.
Happily, I have discovered that yourls (with custom domains) is supported by
the free URL Shortener app I run on my Android phone and can be integrated with
Firefox, so I can create ezor.org short URLs on the fly.

Ultimately, the question is going to be one of control and reliability versus
ease of implementation, and will be answered differently by each organization
considering whether and how to standardize its URL shortening practices.
{Jonathan}

Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center, 225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY  11722
Direct: 631-761-7119    Fax: 888-549-7073
e-mail: je...@tourolaw.edu; Twitter: profjonathan
Sample chapters of new business privacy law
coursebook from Lexis/Nexis: ezor.org/privacybooksample