..on Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 01:03:52PM -0500, Shava Nerad wrote:
> Irony:
> http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857628/jstor-opens-up-limited-free-access-to-its-digital-library

This is JSTOR going 'freeware' rather than Free Software. In the programming
domain it's comparable to source code that is technically open for reading yet
disallows modification or redistribution. Aaron would've been just as pissed
about this.

On their site they say 'A New Chapter Begins'. There's the irony.

We should all stop supporting knowledge mafia like JSTOR by discouraging our
peers to publish there. It's bad enough that publicly funded universities push
their knowledge output to a private business interest.

A great way to channel any despair from Aaron's death is to encourage peers to
publish openly.

Cheers,

Julian

> On Jan 12, 2013 3:36 AM, "Yosem Companys" <compa...@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > This is a tragic loss and a terrible blow to the liberationtech community.
> >
> > Yosem
> >

> > http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
> >
> > Aaron Swartz commits suicide
> >
> > Web Update
> >
> > By Anne Cai
> > NEWS EDITOR; UPDATED AT 2:15 A.M. 1/12/13
> >
> > Computer activist Aaron H. Swartz committed suicide in New York City
> > yesterday, Jan. 11, according to his uncle, Michael Wolf, in a comment
> > to The Tech. Swartz was 26.
> >
> > “The tragic and heartbreaking information you received is,
> > regrettably, true,” confirmed Swartz’ attorney, Elliot R. Peters of
> > Kecker and Van Nest, in an email to The Tech.
> >
> > Swartz was indicted in July 2011 by a federal grand jury for allegedly
> > mass downloading documents from the JSTOR online journal archive with
> > the intent to distribute them. He subsequently moved to Brooklyn, New
> > York, where he then worked for Avaaz Foundation, a nonprofit “global
> > web movement to bring people-powered politics to decision-making
> > everywhere.” Swartz appeared in court on Sept. 24, 2012 and pleaded
> > not guilty.
> >
> > The accomplished Swartz co-authored the now widely-used RSS 1.0
> > specification at age 14, was one of the three co-owners of the popular
> > social news site Reddit, and completed a fellowship at Harvard’s
> > Ethics Center Lab on Institutional Corruption. In 2010, he founded
> > DemandProgress.org, a “campaign against the Internet censorship bills
> > SOPA/PIPA.”
> > --

Julian Oliver
http://julianoliver.com