While I sympathize with the open access spirit of this thread, and have no
intention to detract from the eulogizing of Aaron Swartz, I think that in all
fairness a few things should be pointed out.

JSTOR is not a journal publisher. This is an important distinction since it
means that JSTOR's terms are, at least in part, influenced by the journal
publishers. It also means that it will not always be clear whether or not an
article you publish will end up in JSTOR unless you make sure that you are
publishing in a fully open access (OA) journal (which is the route I would
recommend for anyone concerned with information equity). A directory of OA
journals can be found here http://www.doaj.org

Also, as a librarian, I have found JSTOR to be one of the least problematic of
the academic content providers. This is probably due to the fact that they are
non-profit, distribute little in the way of current content (where the profit
margins are higher), allow for perpetual access to back runs that are bought,
and was established as a way to expand access to journal content in academia.
If there was an effective business model to allow for total open access I would
not be surprised if JSTOR would be one of the content aggregators most open to
such a model.

The real bad guys in the academic publishing world are for-profits like
Elsevier, which was the target of a recent boycott:
http://thecostofknowledge.com

Regards,
Gabe

On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:53 AM, "Julian Oliver"