According to Snopes, the Dell laptop keylogger story is a hoax. They claim
the FOIA request is an altered version of someone else's correspondence:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/dellbug.asp

Regardless, malicious or vulnerable hardware does exist in the wild and are
generally difficult to detect.

Untrusted hardware is not a lost cause. My company is working this problem
and has made significant progress toward mitigating the risk.