x z:
> This is a great piece Martin! Thanks for the thorough analysis, explanation
> and documentation.
>
> I have two comments:
>
> 1. It is a bit sad that the petition "People who help internet censorship,
> builders of Great Firewall in China for example, should be denied entry to
> the
> U.S.<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/people-who-help-internet-censorship-builders-great-firewall-china-example-should-be-denied-entry-us/5bzJkjCL>
> " only got 9,024 signatures after 6 days. Yes, the petition is merely
> symbolic, but it *is* symbolic. I do hope significantly more people can
> sign it, otherwise, the GFW operators and Chinese authority can laugh their
> way home, "see, so few people care!". I hope activists on this mailing list
> can help spreading the word, 26 days remaining.

I think that reducing a worker's travel rights is a rather strange
tactic. It smacks of injustice. Borders as they exist today didn't exist
in such a way around one hundred years ago, do we really like that? Is
it such a good idea to promote a culture of control simply because in
the short term "we" somehow benefit from it? I think the answer is no
but I admit, I have a real big chip on my shoulder about harassment in
US customs.

I would encourage people not to sign such a petition. It is a symbol and
it is a symbol of a control society hell bent on using coercive force of
any kind to produce results. We should be better.

> 2. Even though HTTPS traffic is nontrivial to tackle, GFW has a much
> simpler solution for it. GFW can deteriorate the user experience of HTTPS
> websites, e.g. injecting random resets to HTTPS connections. People can
> still use the site, but it becomes slow and unstable, gradually more and
> more will switch away to use domestic replacement. It is a slow process,
> but can be a successful one.

Indeed - we are seeing this exact strategy in many places in the world
right now.

All the best,
Jacob