..on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 05:54:35PM -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> The short version is that Ubuntu is now pre-compromised.  (Or if you
> prefer Stallman's phrasing, and I agree with him, it's spyware.)
> And given the appallingly tone-deaf nature of Shuttleworth/Canonical's
> that is, I fully expect other privacy/security-adverse changes
> to be deliberately implemented in future releases/updates/patches.

Yes, this is very much something that needs to be talked about, especially as
adoption rates suddenly quadruple with the Steam game distribution network being
now available for Ubuntu

One wonders whether Shuttleworth hasn't lost his North. Ubuntu used to mean
"Linux for Human Beings", and now you need relatively recent hardware to enjoy
this GNU/Linux variant.

> ----- Forwarded message from greg pryzby <g...@pryzby.org> -----
>
> > Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:07:59 -0500
> > From: greg pryzby <g...@pryzby.org>
> > Subject: [Novalug] Ubuntu, Dash, Shuttleworth and privacy
> >
> > I am posting because this popped a few times today in my feed and I thought
> > it was important enough to share. Search for details from other sites and
> > read the information from all sources you can, if you are so inclined.
> >
> > The upshot is all keystrokes in Dash are sent to Canonical and make
> > available to partners as well as Canonical. It is on by default.
> >
> > Here is the first article I saw today:
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/02/18/1652242/mark-shuttleworth-addresses-ubuntu-privacy-issues
> >
> > This appears to be the reference article
> > http://www.muktware.com/5234/mark-shuttleworth-addresses-ubuntu-privacy-issues-it-enough
> >
> > [snip]
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Julian Oliver