..on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:00:11PM +0000, anonymous2...@nym.hush.com wrote:
> If you think you can get a board member or a finance person in an NGO to use
> Linux then you are detached from the reality of how most NGO's work. The use
> will simply ignore it.

Really? Have you tried a recent desktop Linux distribution? What about Android?
While not a fan of Ubuntu myself, I've seen both an 11yr old girl and a 70yr old
retired farmer installing packages and watching videos, making documents in
Ubuntu. One quite often hears many people find it far less confusing than
Windows.

Linux is just a kernel. GNU tools, applications and the UI are what make it a
Desktop OS - and they vary in usability.

Anyway, to be a little more constructive on the topic, check out Tactical Tech's
NGO-in-a-box. All built on free and open software:

"Everyday tools for NGOs Base NGO in-a-box is a collection of tools for the
day-to-day running of small to medium sized NGOs. Produced by Tactical Tech in
association with WomensNet, this toolkit aims to make it easier to set up base,
find the right software and learn how to use it. Targeted primarily at NGOs and
advocacy organisations in developing countries the Box contains a set of
peer-reviewed Free and Open Source Software tools, with associated guides and
tutorials."

    http://archive.tacticaltech.org/ngo-in-a-box-base.html

Testimonials:

    http://archive.tacticaltech.org/whatpeoplesayaboutus.html

Cheers,

Julian

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:50:08 +0000 "Andreas Bader"
> <noergelpi...@hotmail.de> wrote:
> >anonymous2...@nym.hush.com:
> >> Hi,
> >> We are a human rights NGO that is looking to invest in the best
> >> possible level of network security (protection from high-level
> >> cyber-security threats, changing circumvention/proxy to protect
> >IP
> >> address etc, encryption on endpoints and server, IDS/Physical
> >and
> >> Software Firewall/File Integrity Monitoring, Mobile Device
> >> Management, Honeypots) we can get for a our internal network. I
> >was
> >> wondering if people would critique the following network, add
> >> comments, suggestions and alternative methods/pieces of
> >software.
> >> (Perhaps if it goes well we could make a short paper out of it,
> >for
> >> others to use.)
> >I also work for a human rights NGO.
> >First don't use an internal network, you need a decentral
> >communication
> >and information network.
> >Second, Windows is not easier than Linux, compare Windows 8 and
> >Debian
> >with Gnome 2.
> >I would probably use a SEL Kernel like in SL 6, when possible a
> >Live-System.
> >Forget all the closed-source software.
> >Now the Software:
> >-Firefox with Torbutton
> >-Thunderbird with Torbirdy and OpenPGP
> >-Vidalia
> >Encrypt your systems with LUKS, its also FDE. Truecrypt doesn't
> >work
> >with Linux as FDE.
> >You can possibly try Liberte Linux, someone on this list presented
> >it to
> >us, its made for secure communication.
> >And if you are unsure about Linux and Windows in "High Level
> >Security
> >Systems", then you should probably go and get a real
> >Sysadmin/Security-Fanatic.
> >How good are you with IT-Sec?
> >I don't want to offend you, but you sound like a beginner.
> >
> >Andreas
> >
> >(P.S.: Skype? You can't be serious. ICQ and Facebookchat is more
> >secure.
> >Use IRC).
> >--

Julian Oliver