Speaking of GUNE/Linux operating systems, I am personally a big fan of
LiveCDs such as Tails (https://tails.boum.org/), where you don't need to
install any software on a computer and loose all data (almost all data)
on a reboot.

Journalists, activists in high risk countries can have multiple copies
of a LiveCD at home, work or school. Instead of carrying their
activities in their laptops, they can load the CD and perform their
tasks with little or no trace.

--SiNA

Julian Oliver:
> ..on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:00:11PM +0000, anonymous2...@nym.hush.com wrote:
>> If you think you can get a board member or a finance person in an NGO to use
>> Linux then you are detached from the reality of how most NGO's work. The use
>> will simply ignore it.
>
> Really? Have you tried a recent desktop Linux distribution? What about
> Android?
> While not a fan of Ubuntu myself, I've seen both an 11yr old girl and a 70yr
> old
> retired farmer installing packages and watching videos, making documents in
> Ubuntu. One quite often hears many people find it far less confusing than
> Windows.
>
> Linux is just a kernel. GNU tools, applications and the UI are what make it a
> Desktop OS - and they vary in usability.
>
> Anyway, to be a little more constructive on the topic, check out Tactical
> Tech's
> NGO-in-a-box. All built on free and open software:
>
> "Everyday tools for NGOs Base NGO in-a-box is a collection of tools for the
> day-to-day running of small to medium sized NGOs. Produced by Tactical Tech in
> association with WomensNet, this toolkit aims to make it easier to set up
> base,
> find the right software and learn how to use it. Targeted primarily at NGOs
> and
> advocacy organisations in developing countries the Box contains a set of
> peer-reviewed Free and Open Source Software tools, with associated guides and
> tutorials."
>
>     http://archive.tacticaltech.org/ngo-in-a-box-base.html
>
> Testimonials:
>
>     http://archive.tacticaltech.org/whatpeoplesayaboutus.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Julian
>

>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:50:08 +0000 "Andreas Bader"
>> <noergelpi...@hotmail.de> wrote:
>>> anonymous2...@nym.hush.com:
>>> IP
>>> and
>>> was
>>> software.
>>> for
>>> I also work for a human rights NGO.
>>> First don't use an internal network, you need a decentral
>>> communication
>>> and information network.
>>> Second, Windows is not easier than Linux, compare Windows 8 and
>>> Debian
>>> with Gnome 2.
>>> I would probably use a SEL Kernel like in SL 6, when possible a
>>> Live-System.
>>> Forget all the closed-source software.
>>> Now the Software:
>>> -Firefox with Torbutton
>>> -Thunderbird with Torbirdy and OpenPGP
>>> -Vidalia
>>> Encrypt your systems with LUKS, its also FDE. Truecrypt doesn't
>>> work
>>> with Linux as FDE.
>>> You can possibly try Liberte Linux, someone on this list presented
>>> it to
>>> us, its made for secure communication.
> [...]

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Gandhi

XMPP: i...@jabber.ccc.de a5dae15f45a37e9768f6deae7b54807fc4942ec9
twitter.com/wwwiretap