Your APRS idea is interesting and I only know it from the "positioning" side,
not from passing any text, so you may want to continue looking into it. I do
not know that APRS is currently passing any traffic other than positions, at
least as used in the US. I also do not know whether it's used outside the US.
Please do remember that APRS and most other amateur digital service are not
designed to be "reliable" which means they may not "try again" to pass a
message and the message may become garbled in transmission. Some do attempt to
error-correct, but not most.

Some more observations on your criteria:

Low-cost: maybe. Each operator has to have equipment which generally runs
USD$500 to many thousands. Also Android is low cost if you have some kind of
connection to the radio operator. So the "last mile" or "first mile" depending
on how you look at it, is not expensive. But you said tribal areas, so I don't
know what your challenges would be on that count.

Reliable: amateur radio has varying reliability, and it is easily interfered
with if someone wants to do that. In planning emergency operations we take into
account that there may be malicious interference even during an emergency. Even
most amateur radio digital protocols do not have very robust error-correction,
so they're a bit iffy.

Easiest to expand: maybe and maybe not. You have to have a stable of radio
operators available both locally and remotely. (Presuming you want information
to go from somewhere to somewhere.)

Without a telco: Yes for the amateur portion at least.

Without licensing: Although I encourage folks to become amateur radio
operators, they do need to be licensed. The government that giveth it can
taketh it away at the stroke of a pen. I will skip saying more right now.

Also I note in your original statement that you are talking about "tribal
areas" with poor connectivity. Your challenge is going to be getting your
signal from the tribal area to a reliable amateur radio operator. That's unless
the radio operator is already in the tribal area. If the cell phone can's
connect, then amateur VHF and UHF probably wouldn't work either, so you'd have
to rely upon HF with longer range but much greater variability in terms of
signal propagation.

Keep in mind that amateur radio is a point-to-point service subject to the
vagaries of radio propagation. In other words, there is no reliable path 24/7
from one point to another unless you're using prearranged VHF or UHF
frequencies and line of sight propagation. Commonly for emergency ops we
arrange all of this in advance and have emergency power and operators trained,
and frequencies and modes chosen. For HF propagation there is no guarantee your
message will get through because "the bands may be dead."

We've been thinking here (San Francisco) of linking amateur packet radio with
local mesh wi-fi (see Byzantium Project for example) to transfer some traffic
in semi-automated ways during emergency, but this is a long way from actual
implementation. The Byzantium folks are on this list and can comment.

HF: high frequency (meaning roughly 1mHz to many gHz, which is reliant upon
ionospheric conditions for signal propagation
VHF: very high frequency (generally 100mHz to 150mHz) line of sight mostly,
with repeaters being generally used
UHF: ultra… (generally 200mHz and up) line of sight mostly, and repeaters
APRS: Automatic Packet Reporting System (a digital position-reportig protocol
used on certain amateur frequencies)

Sky (Jim Schuyler, PhD)
-We work backstage so you can be the star
Blog: http://blog.red7.com/
Phone: +1.415.759.7337
PGP Keys: http://web.red7.com/pgp