A small but important point people might have overlooked. An opt-out
function for Ubuntu's Dash is less helpful if you're running Ubuntu as a
liveboot. If you're running it as a liveboot, you or your startup script
will have to disable the Dash leaks each and every time you boot up your
computer. It is easy to mistakenly type something sensitive into the
Dash before disabling the leaks -- especially when you boot up your live
machine three, four times a day across hundreds of days. You're drunk or
tired or something -- might sound silly, but that is life -- and you
type a passphrase or something else important into the Dash...bad!

The take-away point is that when you take live systems into account, the
"well you can just turn it off" argument is weaker.